QHY4040 Scienfitic CMOS Camera User Manual Rev. 1.0
This document is online document. You can print it to use. QHYCCD reserved the right that modificate this document without info.
Contents in Package
Please check the following items is in the package
3.0 USB cable
Power cable with locker
12V AC Power Adapter
Silicon gel tube and slicon gel
M54 to 2inch T-ring
Center/tilt adjust ring
Driver Download Card
* The 12V power adapter is depend on the area/country. Some country/area has no this item.
01 Software Installation
02 Interface 03 Using the QHY4040 in SharpCap 04 Using QHY4040 in ASCOM 05 Using QHY4040 in EZCAP_QT 06 Using QHY4040 in FireCapture 07 FAQ 08 Camera Maintaince 09 Specification 10 Mechanical Size 11 Verison History
01 Software Installation
Please go to the QHY4040 Driver download page
1.Download and install camera system driver (link) （The driver for Windows10 can be installed directly; when installing the driver for Win7 system,please check the driver installation instructions first）
4.QHY4040 uses the SharCAP software as the default video display and capture software. Please download and install SharpCap，QHY4040 can work in SharpCap 2.9 or higher version. You may need to use the last QHYCCD sdk (QHYCCD.DLL) in the sharpcap. Please go to the QHYCCD SDK download page to download it and read how to replace the QHYCCD.DLL in sharpcap.
5. Connect the 12V power supply for QHY4040. Then connect the USB3.0 cable between QHY4040 and computer. Please make sure you are connected on the computer USB3.0 port. The QHY4040 can not work under USB2.0 port under the live video mode (in single frame mode it works) due to the high data bandwidth. Please make sure the 12V is connected otherwise the camera maybe not get reconginzed by computer. When first connecting , the windows will report new device found and looking for the driver. You can click "ignore obtain driver from windows" to get it faster. The computer will looking for the driver in local disk. Since the QHY4040 system driver is installed before. So it should find it and start to install hardware. After successfully installed, you can see QHY5IIISeries_IO in the hardware manager.
02 Interface Intoduction
On front of the camera, you can connect the center/tilt adjust ring. The ring has M54/0.75 female thread. On back side of the camera there is the 12V DC power input port and USB3.0 port. On the side of the front part of the camera, there is a silicon gel tube socket.
03 Use QHY4040 in SharpCap
1. Connect 12V power cable and USB3.0 cable.
2. Run SharpCap software. And select the QHY4040 in the "camera" menu. If everthing is ok, the video image will appear on the display window and you will see the frame rate on left bottom of the software.
3. If you can not find the QHY4040 in the "camera" menu, you can try "re-scan" camera in this menu.
4. Adjust offset. You can cover the lens and check the image. The image maybe not very dark. You need to adjust the offset . You can open the histogram window to help you to find a suitable offset. Normally speaking, you need to adjust the offset and let the background peak in the histogram to visible, above zero and near to zero. It is best to keep the whole peak is above zero.
5. By check the “LX” mode you can expand the exposure time in the exposure time progress bar. You can try some longer exposre and you will see some hot pixel appears, You can set the cooler and cooling the cmos sensor and reduce the dark current. The hot pixel will become less. The following picture is a typical picture of -10C, 10sec exposure and gain = 50.
6. The following adjust tools is for temperature regular control. When set to Auto , you can set the target temerpature. The QHY4040 has maxium -35C delta T below ambinet. You can set a suitable target temperature according the enviroment temperature. Please reserver some degree to avoid the camera working in just -35 delta T, otherwise when enviroment get higher , you can not get the target temperature and cause the dark frame calibration has problems. When set Auto off, you can set the cooler power to adjust the TEC power. The range is 0% to 100%. In this mode, the sensor temeperature is not regulated. Just the power is constant.
Before using the cooler, it is best to read the "how to protect the cooler" in the FAQ.
04 Use QHY4040 in ASCOM
Witht the ASCOM driver support, the QHY4040 can works in many software which support ascom interface. Please note QHY4040 will use the 16bit mode under ascom and use the single frame mode under ASCOM. Currently it does not support the ASCOM VIDEO DRIVER. The ADC in QHY4040 is 12bit. So for 16bit format, the bit alignment is MSB alignment. It will patch four zero in last four bit. It means the 0-4095 will be mapped to 0-65535 by multiple 16.
Here we use MAXIMDL software to show how it works.
1. Please make sure the ascom platform and QHY4040 ascom driver is installed.
2. Run MAXIMDL
3. Following this picture to set it.
Click "Start" to capture one frame.
EZCAP_QT，is a software development by QHYCCD. This software has both windows, linux and MAC/OS version . This software is created with the opensource QT software. this software can be modified if you want the source code. It has the basic capture function and working in single frame mode .
1. Install EZCAP_QT
2. Connect 12V power cable and USB3.0 cable
3. Run EZCAP_QT，Menu->Camera->”Connect”. If the camera conneted successfully, the title of the EZCAP_QT will diplay the firmware version of camera and the camera ID
You can change the language of the softwre at menu->language.
4. In menu->camera setting->temperature setting, you can set the power and target temperature. In AUTO mode, you can set the target temperature. And in manual, you can set the TEC power percent. It may need some minutes to get the temperature to target.
5. One left of the software there is some TAB. You can use the preview TAB to do some preview. And you can select an area in the preview image area and use the focus TAB to do focusing. And then use the Capture TAB to capture the image
6. There is a planner in the EZCAP_QT. You can do a sequence capture with this planner.