QHYCCD

QHY5III-485 display using Raw-16

QHY5III-485 display using Raw-16
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:56:58 AM »
I was playing with my new QHY5III-485c camera taking some lunar images and tried "Color Space" Raw16. I saw a couple of issues.

1. The color of the display was green which I would have expected if using the initial values set up by SharpCap. But I had adjusted the white balance for normal RGB color space so does the white balance have to be readjusted for the 16bit?

2. I could see the entire pixel pattern grid in the image. I never have seen that in a camera before. I also got some of that with the 8 bit Raw when I zoomed in on an image I saved. Is this normal? How do you adjust for that?

JohnD

Yuki

• View Profile
Re: QHY5III-485 display using Raw-16
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:39 PM »
Hi,

1. Yes, you also need to adjust it in 16bit mode.

2.This is because the image is saved in black and white mode , and it is necessary to convert the color image through the Bayer arrangement in the software later.

Best Regards

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:49 PM »
What is the Bayer pattern for the QHY5III-485C? I assumed it was RGGB, but was unable to get a white balance using that pattern for RAW16. I tried other patterns and would get strange results such as adjusting one color but seeing it adjust another (usually) green. I eventually tried GBRG and was able to get a decent white balance. The 8-bit RAW works with RGGB so I am confused. It is difficult to get a regular histogram in SharpCap for RAW16. I had to resort to a logarithmic scale which does not give you a clean peak.

Yuki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:34:37 PM »
I report your issue to my leader.

He will arrange for someone to fix it.

Best Regards

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
Is there any resolution to this yet? This is what I have been able to determine trying various Bayer options in SharpCap with RAW16 Colour Space.

Using the histogram in linear mode, I found out that if I have Blue or Red set at about 200, then the histogram basically disappears. I tried all the various Bayer options and this is what happened to the histogram when adjusting colors:

Bayer=RGGB:

Adjusting Red actually adjusts Green

Adjusting Green adjusts all colors

Adjusting Blue adjusts Green

Bayer=GRBG:

Adjusting Red actually adjusts Blue

Adjusting Green adjusts Green

Adjusting Blue adjusts Red

Bayer=BGGR:

Adjusting Red actually adjusts Green

Adjusting Green adjusts all colors

Adjusting Blue adjusts Green

Bayer=GBRG:

Adjusting Red actually adjusts Red

Adjusting Green adjusts Green

Adjusting Blue adjusts Blue

So it would seem that GBRG is the proper pattern. But I was not able to get proper color balance with it. Is this a driver issue?

JohnD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 05:34:41 AM »
Is there any resolution to this issue yet?

JohnD

Yuki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
My boss have known about this problem and are dealing with it.

Yuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 02:04:41 AM »
Hi,

Please use new driver.

Best Regards

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:24:23 PM »
Thanks, so far it looks good. What is the Bayer pattern for the camera?

JohnD

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 09:30:52 PM »
    It is RGGB.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:23 AM »
That's strange. I created a FITS image and it said it was GBRG. I had set it RGGB at one point. I will have to test again. I believe I had set Debayering to "On" before I took the image.

JohnD

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:17 AM »
Hi,
    I tested QHY5III485C with 21.04.19 and 21.03.13 SDK,it can show correct color in SharpCap RGB24 and RAW8 RGGB mode.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 01:35:28 AM »
Thanks,

I think I am good. The problem I am having now is that Sharpcap is designating the Debayer pattern for the 16-bit FITS file as GBRG regardless of what I pattern I assign. I have not received a response from Robin yet on that. However I found a way to use a .TIFF file for output and convert the image to color instead of ending up with a grayscale image as most processing software seems to interpret it. You can change the file extension from .TIF to .DNG then open it in RawTherapee. RawTherapee automatically displays a proper color image from the .DNG file. You can save that result back as a .TIFF for further processing in whatever software you desire. The only thing is that the original .TIFF file generated by Sharpcap must be uncompressed. Some software is having an issue opening SCs 16-bit .TIFF compressed image.

JohnD

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
Hi,
    I tested this an got same issue,in SharpCap it will be shown as RGGB,but if I save to FITS file,the debayerformat will change to GBRG,I checked the SDK debug,it returned right debayerformat to SharpCap,but I don't know why it become GBRG after save,and it show me a note:NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight),it seem we need waut for Robin's reply to explain it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu