QHYCCD

CFW3-L

CFW3-L
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
Hello, QHY forum members!  I have a new QHY600 and CFW3L with Astrodon filters installed. My flats show vignetting in just two corners (right side). It appears the CFW is not rotating the carousel to the correct position. It's not off by much, but it's off by a little. I have confirmed this by rotating it very slightly by hand (one or two notches of the stepper motor) and the vignetting goes away.

In searching this forum, it looks like this is an issue that has appeared in the past and was resolved with firmware. I'm not sure when my CFW3-L was manufactured, but I bought it from an authorized dealer here in the U.S. this past January so I'd be surprised if it's very old. I downloaded the firmware from the QHY website just in case and re-flashed the Arduino board over USB. No difference.

Is there newer firmware for the CFW3-L than what is posted on the website? The version on the website is from 2019. Or is there some other problem with my CFW?  Any advice would be appreciated. I looked inside the wheel, and the emitter and detector appear to be properly centered over each other, but when the wheel stops it is not quite centered over the emitter and detector.

Thanks for any advice!

- Jared Willson

Re: CFW3-L
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 03:05:11 AM »
Hello, QHY forum members!  I have a new QHY600 and CFW3L with Astrodon filters installed. My flats show vignetting in just two corners (right side). It appears the CFW is not rotating the carousel to the correct position. It's not off by much, but it's off by a little. I have confirmed this by rotating it very slightly by hand (one or two notches of the stepper motor) and the vignetting goes away.

In searching this forum, it looks like this is an issue that has appeared in the past and was resolved with firmware. I'm not sure when my CFW3-L was manufactured, but I bought it from an authorized dealer here in the U.S. this past January so I'd be surprised if it's very old. I downloaded the firmware from the QHY website just in case and re-flashed the Arduino board over USB. No difference.

Is there newer firmware for the CFW3-L than what is posted on the website? The version on the website is from 2019. Or is there some other problem with my CFW?  Any advice would be appreciated. I looked inside the wheel, and the emitter and detector appear to be properly centered over each other, but when the wheel stops it is not quite centered over the emitter and detector.

Thanks for any advice!

- Jared Willson

Hi jwillson.
I think there are many of us who have this problem and QHY will surely solve it by releasing a new firmware with the possibility of adjusting the offset by software.
They sent me the code to manually fix it, but I'm afraid it will take time since I'm always on the road.
When I solve it I send you my code in case it can help you, but I understand that the solution would have to come through an update by QHY.
sure they solve it easily and quickly.

Re: CFW3-L
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »

Thanks for any advice!

- Jared Willson

Hi jwillson.
I think there are many of us who have this problem and QHY will surely solve it by releasing a new firmware with the possibility of adjusting the offset by software.
They sent me the code to manually fix it, but I'm afraid it will take time since I'm always on the road.
When I solve it I send you my code in case it can help you, but I understand that the solution would have to come through an update by QHY.
sure they solve it easily and quickly.

Yes, being able to add in an offset would be nice. Right now, I just end up trimming off the right side of my images since flats won?t correct this. I hate throwing away otherwise good field of view.

- Jared