QHYCCD

Adapter 020063

Adapter 020063
« on: February 10, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
Hi

Is my understanding correct, that 020063 can be used to connect QHY294M to any of CFW3S and CFW3M?

buzz

Re: Adapter 020063
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
yes I use it for my QHY294 and QHY183 so that it screws directly into the CFW3.

See my other post on this adaptor - on the camera this a glue patch where the adaptor sits and QHY mill a relief so that it is not compressed when you screw the adaptor down. Unfortunately the relief is in the wrong position, as there is no position with the 6 mounting holes and the CFW3 that permit the QHY OAG to be lined set up on the long side of the sensor. In the end, I had to file off material from the adaptor to stop any damage to the camera.
Chris Woodhouse FRAS

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:39:50 PM »
yes I use it for my QHY294 and QHY183 so that it screws directly into the CFW3.

Which CFW3 do you have - S or M?

Unfortunately the relief is in the wrong position, as there is no position with the 6 mounting holes and the CFW3 that permit the QHY OAG to be lined set up on the long side of the sensor.

How big is the overlap between OAG and camera viewport? I mean - if you try to line up as much as possible, probably will be a small "black" area on the edge...

buzz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:09:52 AM »
This adaptor shortens the backfocus between the camera and the filterwheel. I use the medium OAG/CFW3 (slim).
The adaptor fits the smaller cameras, 4/3 and smaller - but you will need to check the QHY resources to be sure.
I have two - one for my QHY294M and another for the QHY183.
You can position the OAG pickup so that it neatly fits behind the 54/48/42 flange for telescope and does not overlap the sensor. I always check that from through the front of the telescope.
I calculated the minimum distance between the guide camera and the mirror is 45 mm - which means you need a minimum of 45 mm between the mirror and the imaging camera. I spent a few hours calculating how many spacers to put between the OAG and the filterwheel to achieve that and still have 55 mm from flange to sensor. It is a bit of a Meccano kit at the end of the day but does work. At least the adaptors are inexpensive. I bought a complete set of stainless bolts from eBay covering all the lengths. I still ended up filing some slightly, so that they did not protrude and touch the filters in the filter wheel.
Chris Woodhouse FRAS