QHYCCD

ONE page for drivers etc.

ONE page for drivers etc.
« on: December 03, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
Hello
Recently got a QHY294c and last night I had a couple of hours clear and wished to install and check it out, but ended up with another wasted 2 hours for nothing.

I have very little time and 'Northern England - UK' can be ridiculously covered all the time and I am in a valley therefore weather forecasts are often wrong and I guesstimate it myself and get it mainly right - + I even have a narrow view of sky on 'supposed to be' Bortle 5.

Well could not detect it at all - nice start & I am NOT into SDKs at all... yet.

But my main question is: where is a ONE page only for installing 'whatever necessary' ?

Second, is there a Quick startup guide with 'correct' links?
I have no problems with computers and computing, but I am not a developer - even thou I played a bit with 'Python' during lock down!
;p]

I am on Windows 10 Pro

Thank you for a reply

M

Re: ONE page for drivers etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »

Well could not detect it at all - nice start & I am NOT into SDKs at all... yet.

But my main question is: where is a ONE page only for installing 'whatever necessary' ?

Second, is there a Quick startup guide with 'correct' links?
I have no problems with computers and computing, but I am not a developer - even thou I played a bit with 'Python' during lock down!
;p]

I am on Windows 10 Pro

Thank you for a reply

M

Well found this link:
https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=194

But a well made page would be FAR better - one for idiots in particular.

Just a though, it would increase QHYCCD status, in my view!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 07:27:57 AM »
... just installed EZcap with QHYCCD version 20-6-23-0 on a windows 10 laptop.

Same blooming problem - then tried 3 other USB ports and ONE has detected it!

Those ports ALL work and other ports you could hear WIN10 detecting then disconnecting straight away!

In my view the problems is either the camera or the cable [which I will replace now] or the Drivers - which i believe IS ... the problem!

Nightmare of 'standard' connections - ridiculous!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:31:38 AM by QHYceced »

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 07:54:30 AM »
OK, now it started to work normally!

On ANY USB !

In my view this is a Driver problem or it was still installing in background and disconnecting it a couple of times made WIN10 detect it.

I see it on Sharpcap too now.

I will have to re-install on my PC [more powerful too] then see if I can do some Darks.

I have read generally you set it up to 100-120 gain.

It certainly makes you waste time installing.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
M,
I own a QHY294C.  Unity gain=1500  Setting the gain to 1600 puts the camera close to unity gain but it also the lowest gain that puts the camera into it's HGC mode which has the low read noise.  I generated my DARKs at these two gains. Also be aware that the whitebalance values(R,G,B) for the QHY294C are 64.  The QHY driver sets the whitebalance values  to 64 but I know that older versions of Sharpcap were setting the whitebalance values to 16.

You mentioned a gain of 100-120???  Those gain values are most likely for the ASI294mc.

Peter

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
Hi,
    Do you also have other issue?If so,please let me know.
    And about download page,sorry for the bad experience to you,I will tell this to my colleague to improve it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 06:28:45 AM »
M,
I own a QHY294C.  Unity gain=1500  Setting the gain to 1600 puts the camera close to unity gain but it also the lowest gain that puts the camera into it's HGC mode which has the low read noise.  I generated my DARKs at these two gains. Also be aware that the white balance values(R,G,B) for the QHY294C are 64.  The QHY driver sets the white balance values  to 64 but I know that older versions of Sharpcap were setting the white balance values to 16.

You mentioned a gain of 100-120???  Those gain values are most likely for the ASI294mc.

Peter

Hi
Thanks for the valuable input.

Correct, 120 is for the ASI, I read the 1500-1600 [1601 starts I think] on Sharpcap for QHY.

I am getting older and I am learning more now than 20 years ago!!

I noticed that the Balance goes at 64 by itself.

I am still battling to get the Sensor Analysis - tried artificial light and white-light [weather]!

I set the Histogram at 65% [on the white curve] and Exposure on 150-250ms depending on situation.

Cannot get it done - tried 2 days at least 20 times.

A few months back had similar problems with QHY174M I used on Mars [only captured it once - weather was bad] and I managed after a few tries and it was on artificial light, if I remember well.

I also noticed that if you get near 200-220 Exposure at 65% [capping telescope with white 'stuff'] image starts to flicker as if camera is switching!

I am getting confused now.

It almost always stops saying to adjust light which was perfect at beginning.

Some time [twice I think] I managed to get the first line of green Measurement Graph crosses e/ADU [If I am not wrong] and then stops.

Do not know what to do now.

Although it is not really a 'must' to do Sensor Analysis as when you have correct setting your eye just do OK with Histogram, of course Analylsis will put camera at its best.

I am now stuck.

M

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 06:37:25 AM »
Hi,
    Do you also have other issue?If so,please let me know.
    And about download page,sorry for the bad experience to you,I will tell this to my colleague to improve it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Hi
I am sorry too for being a bit despotic.

It is not my nature, but I like neat information.

The important one must be on ONE page and concise so anyone of any level will understand.

Am I right in believing the SDK when it installs also updates Camera Firmware?
That would explain why it was not detected initially - in my 'nobody's' view!.
M

PS I find myself to do at least 3-5 reCaptcha every time I post - mayvbe server should be set to recognise IP comparing it with the logged in person posting and ask one Captcha ?

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 06:58:03 AM »
OK ... I think I know what it is happening now.

- SharpCap 3.2.6457.0 (64 bit) - maybe I should try the 32bit - I remember there are some problems sometimes.
- Camera is on a SW 72ED prime focus
- Daylight - using a tee-shirt 1-2-3 time folded - it depends, sometimes I used the camera foamy containers as a cap [ just fits the 72ED] as a diffuser and shirt, I come up with 65% at ~230 Exposure - stable thin enough peak on White wave
- camera RGB on 64, RAW 16 1x1 [it is not upgraded to use 2x2 yet - do not think I will need to really]
- DDR buffer was on, this time off
- QHYCCD_Win_AllInOne.20.06.26.36 is installed

No change.

BUT ... I noticed Sharpcap reverse RGB to 16 - so it might be the problem I am having.

Should I use different .DLL for Sharpcap - I did update it

As Freddy Mercury sang: I am going slightly mad!

;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:15:49 AM by QHYceced »

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:22:36 AM »
Just realised I am on:  QHYCCD Software Developer Zone  !

Sorry - just my life at present is a mess, my brain frying - need a mental cooler like the QHYCCD !

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »
I believe I must keep this post on this area as it is all c0nnected in my view.

What I have done now.

I have latest .DLL set on Sharpcap.

Now getting darker - wasted all morning!

Camera onto SW 72ED with white diffuser or shirt - no difference!

Exp: 235
Histo: 32%
RGB: 16 [auto set]

set exp to 239 NO CHANGE !
set to 245 NO CHANGE !
set to 255 Histo goes to 40% and starts to flicker with a white fascia on top ~15% of screen  !
set to 265-275-285-295 - as above!
set to 325 flickers oscillating at 50-55% - no white fascia!

What the heck is going on?

In my view - more as an electronics technician, than a developer, there is a problem between driver and hardware and confirms what Robin of Sharpcap stated.

There seems to be a number of QHYCCD cameras of various model doing this: cannot keep steady at minimal Exposure changes - maybe all of them.

I am really tired of this, I have spent money I do not have and paying for it.

Just annoyed!

Can QHYCCD finally fix all these annoying continuous problems?

Maybe I should have real;ly spent more and get an ASI - just to hopefully avoid all this mess I do not really need in my life.

I am trying to set up things for retirement and I seem to only get grief!!

Then to make it worse, I need to pass 5-20 [yes 20] reCaptcha for each post!

TIRED !

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
SharpCap's sensor analysis will not work with the QHY294C...been there...consulted with Robin...no luck.  The video mode for the QHY294C is erratic. I told Robin that the QHY294C default RGB needs to be set to 64...sounds like that hasn't happened.  Video with the QHY294C is frustrating which is strange because the imaging chip is suppose to be superior as a security video camera. There are several posts on this forum from me regarding issues with video, drivers and fullwell capacity.

The QHY294C is very good at taking astrophotos...and that is what you should focus on.  You should concentrate on building your DARK library. I got my QHY294C in January, 2020 and this year I took virtually every photo at GAIN=1600.  To me, this is the sweet spot (low noise and large dynamic range). I generated my DARK library at GAIN=1600 and temperature=0C.  Exposures of 60, 100, 200, 300 and 600 seconds. 600s was used exclusively for narrowband imaging.  Over this winter I will add more DARKs but move to -10C.  I have taken some images at -10C and the DARK taken at 0C does a great job of compensating the amp glow.  I just checked and I was shocked to see that this year I have taken 174Gb of photos.

Sharpcap has helped to highlight the issues with video for this camera. Hopefully QHY will iron out these issues soon.  In the meantime, you need to avoid struggling with video and Sharpcap's sensor analysis.

Peter

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
Hi,
    We released a new driver for QHY294C,this version modified the method of count exposure.You can try it,https://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/latestSoftAndDirver/Driver/QHYCamerasDriver20201127.zip
    And please disconnect power and USB connection firstly,and install the driver.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »
QinXiaoXu,
I did some testing with https://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/latestSoftAndDirver/Driver/QHYCamerasDriver20201127.zip

While the sensor analysis seems to work better and the video appears more stable I noticed that the read noise does not change when switching from LGC to HGC at GAIN=1600.  I suspect that the HGC mode is not being selected. The noise in a BIAS frame at GAIN=1600 is identical to the noise in a BIAS frame at GAIN=1599.  Also the mean value of the pixel values stay the same...there should be a significant drop in mean value when the GAIN=1600

OLD 1599 BIAS.jpg and OLD 1600 BIAS.jpg are what my master BIAS frames originally looked like for GAIN=1599 and 1600. Notice the changes in Mean and Std. Dev. values.

New 1599 Again.jpg and New 1600 again.jpg are what my master BIAS frames look like when using these new drivers. Notice that the changes in Mean and Std. Dev. values are very small.

Peter

P.S. I also noticed that the whitebalance parameters are now 16.  My original drivers were setting them to 64 and the 64 value was the correct value.  Now I find that even if I change back to the original drivers the correct values for whitebalance are 16.  This is not a big problem for me but it needs to be documented and users should be made aware of this change.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:06:51 PM by pmwolsley »

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 02:11:22 PM »
QinXiaoXu,

Some additional information. 
-The firmware I have been using for the past year is timestamped 2019/11/6.  This latest camera firmware is timestamped 2020/11/23.
-I was able to get the Sharpcap sensor analysis to run once using the original 2019/11/6 firmware. The result are shown in "Sensor AnalysisOriginal Firmware.jpg".

-I tried the Sensor Analysis several times and as long as I used an exposure of roughly 800 to 900mS to start the routine, I found it was able to run thru the entire routine. Watching the screen as this routine executed I could see that the video was much more stable.  Typically this routine could never find an exposure that gave consistent histograms.  The result from the sensor analysis shows some unusual problems which make me think that the HGC is not being selected at GAIN >= 1600.  The "Sensor Analysis New Firmware16.jpg" is a screen capture of a typical result. The "16" simply refers to the fact that I had the whitebalance values set to 16.

Conclusion:
I believe your work to improve the video timing has worked well.  This version of the QHY294C driver has to be declared faulty because it does not seem to support the LGC/HGC switching at GAIN >=1600.

Peter