QHYCCD

FW3 not working with supplemental power.

FW3 not working with supplemental power.
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Hi, I have a brand new qhycfw3 (large), and I have not been able to make it work with my imaging hardware.

When plugging it in to a usb3 or usb2 port in a raspberry pi 4, or into any usb3 port into a macbook pro, the wheel just makes a whining sound, without moving the carrousel at all. For reference, I have been able to make the wheel work with a windows desktop computer, by only plugging it into usb.

My analysis is that it may be a usb power issue, and the solution seems to be to use the provided cable to connect to 12v via the square RJ11 connector. The problem is that it does not seem to do anything. The whining behavior remains the same, and the current consumed out of the 12v circuit is always 0.

I would appreciate any help your could provide. At this point I'm suspecting a hardware issue.

Regards,
Alex

Re: FW3 not working with supplemental power.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »
I figured the problem out: the barrel connector I was using was too small and wasn't making proper contact with the central pin.

Now that I got it running, I noticed the motor gets quite hot during operation. Too hot to touch. Is this normal?