QHYCCD

Old QHY5 USB id not in 85-qhyccd.rules

Old QHY5 USB id not in 85-qhyccd.rules
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:21:00 AM »
Hi everyone.

I own several QHY cameras. However, I have a quite old QHY5 sitting in my desktop and I'm planning to give it a new use (better than a paperweight). I have installed the QHY SDK for Linux and the latest INDI software.

However the camera was not detected. With a little effort I discovered that my QHY5 USB id is:

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 16c0:296d Van Ooijen Technische Informatica

which is not listed in the 85-qhyccd.rules file.

I have updated that file adding the following line (a copy/paste operation):

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="296a", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5.HEX -D $env{DEVNAME} -s /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5LOADER.HEX"

And after a reboot now it is working.

Just 2 questions:

+ May the change I have done to that file broke something else?
+ If not, shouldn't it be included in the standard QHY SDK?

Best regards.

Zerjillo

Re: Old QHY5 USB id not in 85-qhyccd.rules
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:33:08 PM »
Hi,
    This camera is too old model,we have not product it for a long time.So we didn't add it to 85-qhyccd.rules.
    And about your issue,I have some doubt,if you don't install 85-qhyccd.rules,just connect camera's USB,what's camera's original VID/PID?Is it 16c0/296c?And what is the QHY5LOADER.HEX?
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
    This camera is too old model,we have not product it for a long time.So we didn't add it to 85-qhyccd.rules.
    And about your issue,I have some doubt,if you don't install 85-qhyccd.rules,just connect camera's USB,what's camera's original VID/PID?Is it 16c0/296c?And what is the QHY5LOADER.HEX?

Yes it is an old model. However, I don't see why it should not be supported. And yes, the VID:PID is "16c0:296d" when you connect the camera. Regarding QHY5LOADER.HEX I guess it is some kind of firmware that should be installed on the camera when it is connected to the computer. But you should know better than me as that file is in your SDK and the rule I have written is just a copy/paste of a rule that you have in 85-qhyccd.rules but just updating the VID/PID.

In any case, thanks for your  attention.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
Hi,
    Ok,it seem the result that you can use it is well.And I have some doubt about it.I will do some test and let you know the result.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:43:32 AM »
Hi,
    I tested the QHY5 just now,here is the result.
    QHY5 has several different model,they use different original VID/PID,but use same firmware,QHY5.hex,and after download firmware,they will use same VID/PID,16c0/296d.
    For example the QHY5's original VID/PID that I use is 1618/0901,after 85-qhyccd.rules download firmware(QHY5.HEX),its VID/PID change to 16c0/296d.And now KStars can connect it and capture images.
    About your first question,I think it is OK,all QHY5 can use this firmware(QHY5.HEX),you can try connect can capture to test it.
    About second question,I'm not sure,it also confused me,because 16c0/296d is right second VID/PID,and I can use it directly without any modification for 85-qhyccd.rules.
    And and addition issue,which version SDK do you use?
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:50:35 AM by QinXiaoXu »