QHYCCD

QHYCFW3 not parallel carousel issue

dziki

QHYCFW3 not parallel carousel issue
« on: August 12, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
Hi,

I just bought new QHYCFW3 filter wheel and unfortunatelly filter carousel is not aligned with filter wheel plane - difference between two sides is 0,3mm...

What can I do about it?

Regards,
Lukasz

Yuki

• View Profile
Re: QHYCFW3 not parallel carousel issue
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
Is the difference 3 mm or 0.3 mm?

Can you tell me how did you test it?

Maybe you can send us a video or images to check the problem more intuitively.

Best Regards

dziki

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 04:04:29 AM »
Is the difference 3 mm or 0.3 mm?
Hi,
fortunatelly this is 0,3mm - but I guess this is enough to cause star distortion, because that would cause filter not parallel to the optical axis.

Can you tell me how did you test it?
By caliper.
Recently I changed two elements in setup: filter wheel and connector (nipple/union) and stars become "egg".

I was looking for reason of star distortion, by examining both elements to find reason. I replaced new connector by old one, and examine filter wheel. Difference on carousel was barely noticeable by naked eye, but I checked with caliper.

Best Regards
Thank you - I will try to record moving carousel to show this difference. Not easy but should be possible :)

dziki

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi,

In the meantime I "tuned" filter wheel a little: I disassembled center axis and bearing, I put some bearing grease, clean race-way (there are visible dents on it, probably from bearing balls - I wish I had taken picture), and assemble it back with not so much pressure. Carousel axis now works smoothly and without resistance.

Difference now is lower - here is video showing it. This white tip almost touching carousel have 1,2mm, so you can imagine the difference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72q1zm6h8pez4f8/20200824_230815.mp4?dl=0

I discovered one more issue: tightening the screws of filter wheel cover causes tilt of whole setup (QHY9+filter) and this one I do not know how to handle with.
Stars are tilted on whole picture (before switching to QHYCFW3 they were perfect).

Yuki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »
Hi,

Place copper foil between the filter disc and the fixed large nut. Our copper foil is 65um. I think it will solve the problem.

Best Regards