QHYCCD

Considerations for using two cameras on same computer - QHY183C and QHY183M

I have a pair of telescopes in use -- a 6" RC with QHY183M+filter wheel and a 360mm APO refractor with QHY183C. Previously I have disconnected one camera to use the other, but this made automation less convenient. So I installed a Pegasus Astro hub to connect and power both cameras simultaneously. My first test was strange -- Sharpcap would only see one camera as native -- the QHY183M. Both cameras were present as ASCOM but for some reason, Sharpcap persisted in seeing the 183C as a mono camera. Clearly there is some sort of collision here. Is there anything I should know about potential and known issues of a two camera configuration?

The QHY Ascom picker clearly does not see the second camera -- it only sees the 183M. This is different than when I was manually disconnecting and reconnecting the camera. Previously, I setup Capture as the 183M and Capture2 as the 183C. Now both of them show as 183M. This is with (Anycpu) SDK 20.2.28.0 and Ascom 0.1.51.44. I am assuming from the Capture and Capture2 drivers it was not supposed to work this way... but it does. Please advise.

Thanks.
Greg Latiak
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:07:45 PM by glatiak »

Hi,
    Can the SharpCap connect camera directly and capture?Or SharpCap can only connect via ASCOM.
    Please check QHY USB connection in device manager,check if there are two camera.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Thank you. I was surprised (and pleased) that the cameras showed up in a separate category of their own, unlike my guide camera. And the problem turned out to be with the new Power Hub that I had implemented -- the USB3 ports had issues. When connected through a known good hub, both cameras were displayed.
g

OK,that's a good news.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

A note has appeared on the PegasusAstro product page for the Powerbox Advanced that one of their ports is not USB 2.0 compatible and they say QHY cameras do an initial USB 2.0 setup before switching to USB 3. The device has four ports - three of which will do usb 3/2 and one usb 3. Maybe this is the real issue -- I have to use this port and one other to connect my cameras as I need usb 2 ports for my QHYFW3 and another device. Your thoughts?

Your HUB has four ports,three of the ports is USB3/2,that can connect QHY183C&QHY183M,and another one is USB2,can used to connect your other device.And now issue is the USB2 ports is not enough?If so,you can connect CFW via 4PIN,this can save USB2 ports.Or you can try connect USB2 device to computer directly.And if could,you also can add a new HUB.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

I had already come to that conclusion -- as I have two devices that are USB2 only and the two QHY183s. So I am going to connect the computer to the new powered USB3 hub and use a short cable to connect the Pegasus device to it. So there is still only one USB cable wrapped around the mount.

But what you did not say was whether the Pegasus assertion of how your cameras connect was correct -- I will assume from your response that they are correct. It might be helpful to mention this in the documentation for any affected cameras -- just as it would have if Pegasus mentioned their hardware peculiarity in theirs before problems emerged.

Well,sorry,it seem I missunderstanded your issue.And I'm work on software,I'm not sure this issue,I need inquire this to Dr.Qiu.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Please do. Pegasus Astro has asserted that QHY cameras will not work with their USB 3 ports (#1 particularly) on their Powerbox Advanced because they say you do a USB2 connection first then switch to a USB 3 for operations. I was unable to get two cameras to work on their device but did work fine on a separate USB 3 hub. So there is an issue there someplace.
greg

Hi,
    According to Dr.Qiu's reply,camera will download firmware to camera when connect,after that,camera will be changed to be a QHY IO device.But isn't switch USb2.0 to USB3.0.And our camera is developed with Cypress USB device.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Thank you for the process explanation. That is what I wanted to know. There is still a problem with this device but sounds like the actual reason is different than what Pegasus was asserting. In any event, my QHY cameras work just fine on a different USB hub and I have found a way to make it work with the Pegasus -- which is still useful as a dew strap and DC toggle switch. Now all I need to do is find a better way of marshalling the pile of cables... and of course, more nighttime clear skies.

Thanks again,
greg

OK,wish you all the best.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu