QHYCCD

QHY CFW3-L - RS232 driver issue

QHY CFW3-L - RS232 driver issue
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:01:59 am »
I recently purchased the QHY CFW3-L filter wheel and cannot get it to work in APT 3.84 or NINA with the RS232 4 pin connection.  I have been able to get it to work in SharpCap with the RS232 4 pin connection. 

The issue I have in APT is when I open up the RS232 driver settings it only shows 5 filter slots and I need 7.  If I select CFW2/3 I get a timeout error and can not connect.  If I try just using the ASCOM driver it says it is connected and shows 7 slots, but it will not move the filter wheel.

NINA does not even show any CFW3 driver available to use, so that is as far as I can get with that.

How do I get the CFW3-L to work with APT 3.84? 

On a further note I requested a PDF version of the CFW3-L manual in another forum post several days ago and have not received any response.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:00:48 pm by AskAstroAlice »

Re: QHY CFW3-L - RS232 driver issue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 01:35:19 am »
Update - I figured it out via a happy accident. 

After I uninstalled and reinstalled various versions of the CFW3 drivers (ASCOM and RS232) and APT saying the filter wheel was connected and reporting it moving without any movement and ultimately causing APT throwing an error message #2 cannot move filter wheel.  I came to the realization that the RS232 driver was not going to work because in my case it limited me to 5 filter slots and I needed 7 slots for the QHY CFW3-L.   I discovered the CFW ASCOM driver allowed me to change the number of slots to 7.  After reading about how the CFW3 has a reset button and another button to switch between serial and USB modes I grabbed a paper clip and hit the reset button (the smaller of the two pinholes).  The CFW3 did its thing (powered up and rotated) and when it stopped the light turned green.  I tried to connect in APT and still no luck, so I used my trusty paper clip and hit the reset button again and after saw the green light. Then I used the paper clip and switched modes and the light turned red.  Tried to connect and still no go.  Then I hit the reset button again and the light turned green.  I attempted to connect to APT with the ASCOM driver (1st on the list) and it worked.  I was able to move to any filter I desired.  So I disconnected everything in APT and closed APT to verify this was not a fluke.  All of my equipment connected automatically including the CFW3 and it still worked. 

So to SUM it ALL up - do this in the following order:

1) connect the CFW3 with the 4 pin RS232 to your QHY camera
2) power up your QHY camera and wait for the light to turn green
3) open APT and connect your QHY camera to the 1st ASCOM driver
4) using a paper clip hit the reset button (smallest of the two pinholes) on the CFW3 and wait for the light to turn green
5) hit the mode switch button (larger of pinholes) and wait for the light to turn red
6) hit the mode switch button a second time and wait for the light to turn green
7) connect the CFW3 in APT with the 1st CFW ASCOM driver (not RS232) and change (if applicable) the number of filter slots and type in the names of your filters in the ASCOM setup window and click OK.
8) Your CFW3 should now be connected in APT with full functionality and will auto connect the next time you start APT as long as you configured settings in APT to auto connect to both the QHY camera and CFW3.

I sincerely hope this helps someone else because it was driving me mad.  I strongly suggest QHYCCD release documentation specific to the CFW3-L because it does not seem to exist.  If it does I could not find it.

Good luck and clear skies.

Jennifer
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:37:18 am by AskAstroAlice »

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:54 am »
Thank you! This was very helpful. Resetting the CFW3-L under APT 3.84 allowed it to finally work when connected directly from the camera?s interface (QHY 600)  :)

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:16 am »
Aspegius - I am happy my procedure worked fo you :)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:39:06 am »
I have a new issue with the CFW3 with NINA. 
The filter slot names customized in the ASCOM driver and RS232 do not save.

I was able to get it to connect and show 7 filter slots was by doing the following:

1) install latest QHY camera system driver
2) install latest QHY 3 in 1 ASCOM driver
3) download latest QHY SDK & unzip
4) copy x64 qhyccd.dll to the external NINA folder
5) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to the external NINA folder
6) copy x64 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM x64 folder
7) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM x86 folder
8) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM folder
9) install QHY CFW3 ASCOM driver
10) install QHY CFW3 RS232 driver
11) install USB UART driver
12) shut down computer
13) connect 4 pin cable to camera & CFW3
14) connect USB 2 cable to CFW3 ?> powered USB3 hub?> computer USB
15) connect 12v power to camera
16) wait for CFW light to turn green
17) use paper clip to change CFW3 to USB mode (light will turn red)
18) turn on computer
19) open PC Device Manager at make note of UART COM port number
20) open x64 NINA
21) connect QHY camera with the native driver
22) open Settings for CFW3 with RS232 driver ?> select first CFW option on the list (shows 5 slots) ?> select COM port for UART ?> when connected & shows Idle state change the first CFW selection to CFW2/3 (shows 7 slots & customize filter names) ?> leave COM port number alone ?> click OK ?> connect in NINA
23) disconnect CFW3 RS232 driver in NINA
24) select CFW ASCOM driver & open settings?> change number of slots to 7 & customize filter names) ?> click OK ?> connect in NINA
25) Now you should be able to use the CFW3 filter wheel in NINA

OUTSTANDING ISSUE ?> The CFW3 drivers do not save the customized filter names. The filter names appear as default names (Filter 1, Filter 2, etc.). Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Jennifer

ZY

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »
Hi,

I will transfer this issue to my colleague. We will check this problem.

Best Regards!
zy

I have a new issue with the CFW3 with NINA. 
The filter slot names customized in the ASCOM driver and RS232 do not save.

I was able to get it to connect and show 7 filter slots was by doing the following:

1) install latest QHY camera system driver
2) install latest QHY 3 in 1 ASCOM driver
3) download latest QHY SDK & unzip
4) copy x64 qhyccd.dll to the external NINA folder
5) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to the external NINA folder
6) copy x64 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM x64 folder
7) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM x86 folder
8) copy x86 qhyccd.dll to common ASCOM folder
9) install QHY CFW3 ASCOM driver
10) install QHY CFW3 RS232 driver
11) install USB UART driver
12) shut down computer
13) connect 4 pin cable to camera & CFW3
14) connect USB 2 cable to CFW3 ?> powered USB3 hub?> computer USB
15) connect 12v power to camera
16) wait for CFW light to turn green
17) use paper clip to change CFW3 to USB mode (light will turn red)
18) turn on computer
19) open PC Device Manager at make note of UART COM port number
20) open x64 NINA
21) connect QHY camera with the native driver
22) open Settings for CFW3 with RS232 driver ?> select first CFW option on the list (shows 5 slots) ?> select COM port for UART ?> when connected & shows Idle state change the first CFW selection to CFW2/3 (shows 7 slots & customize filter names) ?> leave COM port number alone ?> click OK ?> connect in NINA
23) disconnect CFW3 RS232 driver in NINA
24) select CFW ASCOM driver & open settings?> change number of slots to 7 & customize filter names) ?> click OK ?> connect in NINA
25) Now you should be able to use the CFW3 filter wheel in NINA

OUTSTANDING ISSUE ?> The CFW3 drivers do not save the customized filter names. The filter names appear as default names (Filter 1, Filter 2, etc.). Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Jennifer