QHYCCD

QHY174M Driver issues - Image Download Time and Timeouts

Eliot

QHY174M Driver issues - Image Download Time and Timeouts
« on: January 03, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
Hi,

After a long wait (approx. 2 years) version 6.0.5 of the INDI Driver finally seems to work with QHY174M!  However there is a but coming...

I seem to have the same issue as https://www.qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6902.0, but for linux instead of windows.  Exposures under 1 second appears to download instantaneously; however exposures over this time take the same about of time to download as the exposure (i.e. 30 second exposure takes a further 30 seconds to download, 60 second exposure takes a further 60 seconds to download, etc.).

I used to have a Canon DSLR that would take an auto dark on long exposures - this problem feels very much like that.

Another thing I noticed is that through a usb hub exposures under 1 second will download those over will fail.  I have solved this with a direct connection between my laptop and the camera, but there is still practical limit with INDI/Ekos of 60 seconds before the exposure times out.

I have tried playing around with driver settings (USB Speed etc.), but these do not appear to have any effect.

Thanks,

Eliot
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:54:01 PM by Eliot »

Re: QHY174M Driver issues - Image Download Time and Timeouts
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
Hi,
    With your description,it seem because of camera's skip frame issue.QHY174M will skip a frame and capture second frame in single mode.But I remember we modified this,I will test it,what device do you use?x86_64 Linux PC?
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Eliot

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:15:26 AM »
Yes it is a 64bit Linux PC

astrosoft

• Astronomical software developer C,C++,Java,Android
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 04:41:35 AM »
Hi Eliot,
I just tested the QHY174GPS-M camera with Dragon Java application running on Linux machine and can say the following:

1) It runs in SingleFrameMode only, no video mode, so I suppose INDI also uses that mode.

2) When I connect to that camera for the first time, ie. I open that device, select an exposure time, say 10 sec. including other parameters
and take the first image, the exposure is finished after 10 seconds as expected, but the first image is lost due to problem of finding head of the image data. Image buffer inside the driver does not contain the full image, but its shifted parts only. So, a new exposure need to be done which also takes another 10 seconds. This happens only if I connect to the camera, initialize it and take the first image.

3) After that, any following images are done without those "delays". I can take series of 100 images, each 10 sec. and all is done perfectly.
I can abort this sequence, start another one with the same or different exposure times, and I do not see such delay anymore. This is true
until I disconnect from that camera. If I close that camera and reopen it again, I see the same problem when taking the first image again.

4) Workaround:
If you connect to the camera for the first time, try to take very short exposure, say 0.1 sec, than any other long exposures should not have such problems. I tried it and it works as expected at least on my site. Please try that and let us know if this helps you too. Maybe yes, maybe not...
If so, we should try to implement this inside the driver itself, but please note, this is only my opinion, I cannot guarantee it will solve this problem, but it could...

Jan

Jan Soldan 
Astronomical software development
QHYCCD distributor and European Warranty, Repair,
Warehouse centre

V Lukach 451,
251 65 Ondrejov,
Czech Republic

Email : astrosoft@email.cz
Mobile : +420 728 403 811
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansoldan

Eliot

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
Thanks Jan.

I will try your work around with INDI tonight.

However I'm fairly sure it will work as part of my testing I have queued exposures 1s X 60, 60s x 10, 120s x 5, 300s x 5.  All the 1 second and 60 second exposures download (but with the delay), the 120 second exposures have a 50% chance of downloading after retries, and the 300 second exposures do not download at all.

So, if your theory is correct, INDI might be resetting the connection after every exposure.

I currently capture using EKOS, but I will also try using the command line to see if it holds the connection better than EKOS.

I would also like to test with the Dragon software you used.  Can you post a link to where I get it?

Thanks,

Eliot

astrosoft

• Astronomical software developer C,C++,Java,Android
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Eliot,
I have a problem to upload the latest version of Dragon Client/Server applications to the web page due to some permission problems.
So, in the meantime, you could go to Download web page and on its 2nd page, there is a session named  Dragon client-server applications
from 2019 / 10 / 22. If you want the latest one, please send me your email at astrosoft@email.cz and I will send you zip tar.gz file for Linux Ubuntu machine (AMD processors). You can start both server and client on the same machine and try it locally. I use this software for testing qhyccd camera because I know how I implemented some function. The new version (1.1.0 which is not on the web page yet) has some parts rewritten and should be much more stable...
Jan Soldan 
Astronomical software development
QHYCCD distributor and European Warranty, Repair,
Warehouse centre

V Lukach 451,
251 65 Ondrejov,
Czech Republic

Email : astrosoft@email.cz
Mobile : +420 728 403 811
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansoldan

Eliot

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
Hi Jan,

Email sent.

Thanks

Eliot

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 07:23:03 PM »
After a bit of experimenting I have found the following with INDI:

For the sequence -> 0.5s Exposure, 10s Exposure, 10s Exposure
The first, and second frames download quickly the third takes along time.

For the sequence -> 0.5s Exposure, 10s Exposure, 0.5s Exposure, 10s Exposure
All the images download quickly.

So as a temporary work around I have written this script:

Code: [Select]
#example usage -> ./capture.sh dark 10 300 (would capture 10 images of 300 seconds named dark_300_x.fit)

indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.UPLOAD_SETTINGS.UPLOAD_DIR=/astro/images"
indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.UPLOAD_MODE.UPLOAD_LOCAL=On"

for i in `seq 1 $2`;
do
echo "starting exposure $i of $2"
indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.UPLOAD_SETTINGS.UPLOAD_PREFIX=temp"
indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.CCD_EXPOSURE.CCD_EXPOSURE_VALUE=0.5"
sleep 1
indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.UPLOAD_SETTINGS.UPLOAD_PREFIX=$1_$3_$i"
indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.CCD_EXPOSURE.CCD_EXPOSURE_VALUE=$3"
sleep $3
sleep 1
done

indi_setprop "QHY CCD QHY174M-8378674.UPLOAD_MODE.UPLOAD_CLIENT=On"

echo "...sequence completed"

This is obviously not ideal.  Any chance the issue could be fixed in the driver?

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
Hi,
    I tested this issue on my x86_64 Linux PC with EZCAP_Qt,just like Jan said,it can expose and readout image correctly.Maybe this is because of INDI,but I have not test it,I need check it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Eliot

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »
Hi,

Has there been any updates on this?  I have a work around, but it would be good to be able to use it with INDI.

Thanks,

Eliot

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »
Hi,
    Sorry,because of Chinese epidemic situation,I can go back to my company now,so I can test it now.After I go back,I will test it and let you know the result.
    And if could,maybe Jan can help us to test?
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Eliot

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:08 AM »
I completely understand.

Stay strong, well, and healthy!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
    Thank you.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu