QHYCCD

Polemaster Lens Artifacts

jd2

Polemaster Lens Artifacts
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »
I wanted to ask if other users have any issues with lens artifacts or spots forming in their Polemasters?  Mine has developed  some spots or splotches in the lens (not on the lens surface so it cannot be cleaned).  I always cap the Polemaster after use once dry and also let it equalize in winter use when brought inside from cold to warm temperatures.  Can you tell me what the spots are developing within the Polemaster lens? The biggest one can be seen in the photo at 12 o'clock just off center but the smaller spots  can be seen in this photo; you can see them as small unfocused circles different from the surface dust. the next most prominent ones are at the 4 and 5 o'clock positions. Since they are lens artifacts, the result is that they create circular dark shaded splotches in the computer screen display when running Polemaster.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:01:01 PM by jd2 »

jd2

Re: Polemaster Lens Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
QHY Support was fabulous and sent me a replacement for the lens. The artifacts were internal to the lens so there was no cleaning option.  I was told the installation replacement was not difficult but I assumed it was a sealed unit that required undoing fasteners. I was wrong in that assumption. I had tried to untwist the outer barrel but it did not budge when I originally found the problem. I was told in a great reply from Zyq just how to do the replacement and he even went as far as showing a video. So the outer barrel is just untwisted (just use enough force to remove it) with no need to unfasten any screws.  Replace the lens assembly, focus it if you need to by twisting the body of lens assembly, and then replace the outer barrel that secures the lens assembly back onto the Polemaster unit and it is complete. Very simple. I guess this applies to any situation where if you need to focus the Polemaster, although unlikely, this would be the process to do so.

JD
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:04:49 PM by jd2 »