QHYCCD

INDI Open Astronomy support

INDI Open Astronomy support
« on: October 18, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
A number of us are using (or attempting to use) Kstars/EKOS/INDI to automate parts of our imaging activities.  The QHY Linux SDK appears to have a number of serious defects that have not been addressed: support for older QHY cameras/filter wheels, driver stability, linking problems, etc.

What are QHY's intentions with regard to Linux driver support in terms of functionality and stability.  It would be good if who ever is responsible for the driver would pay some attention to the INDI forums on this matter.

Regards,

jmh

Re: INDI Open Astronomy support
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
Hi,
    My colleague is working on this,he is keep in touch with Jasem Mutlaq,when he solve the issue,we will release it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:42 AM »
Hi,
    My colleague is working on this,he is keep in touch with Jasem Mutlaq,when he solve the issue,we will release it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Hi,

Your company produces good cameras, but terrible software, and because of the software, especially on Linux based system, people will not purchase your cameras, regardless of how good they are.   

You need to either release a driver that works, or open source it so the community can get to the root of the problems and fix them.  Look through your forums and you will see that people have reported many problems that have not been addressed, going back over a year,  and a number are getting to point where they will purchase cameras from other companies because of the quality of the software and lack of support.

Regards,

jmh

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
Hi,
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Hi,

Your company produces good cameras, but terrible software, and because of the software, especially on Linux based system, people will not purchase your cameras, regardless of how good they are.   

You need to either release a driver that works, or open source it so the community can get to the root of the problems and fix them.  Look through your forums and you will see that people have reported many problems that have not been addressed, going back over a year,  and a number are getting to point where they will purchase cameras from other companies because of the quality of the software and lack of support.

Regards,

jmh
Hi,
    Thanks for your advice,in fact,Dr.Qiu is supervising and urging my colleague do it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:16:02 PM by QinXiaoXu »

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
Hi,
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Hi,

Regards,

jmh
Hi,
    Thanks for your advice,in fact,your viewpoint is same with Dr.Qiu,he also think our software is not so well.And he is supervising and urging my colleague do it.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Thanks for this - happy to hear that it has some attention.  Regarding the Linux driver for the QHY9 camera (and perhaps others), it would be good to address the following matters:

1. Enable / Disable cooling - we need to be able to enable and disable cooling, as well as set the target temperature.  The manner in which this happens with Nebulosity 4.x would be great - I can enable TEC, set my target temperature and can see that it gradually cools and then settles to within about 0.5C within a few minutes without stressing the chip.

2. Enable overscan compensation - right now the driver downloads an image including the overscan regions.  Again, it would be nice to mimic the same behaviou as Nebulosity 4.x where only the image area is download. 

Again, thanks for listening.

Regards,

jmh

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »
Hi,
    Thanks for your advice,I will report this to Dr.Qiu.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
I can only double the assessement  by jmh. The Hardware is top notch, the software sucks. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's the truth.

I bought a QHY183M right after it hit the market. I was told the Linux software will be ready very soon, so I wasn't bothered. In the end it took almost half a year to get it working! I was in direct contact with Jan (the only developer?) and Jasem helped as well to get the new camera working.
Now, with the latest SDK (v4.0.1) the QHY183M is broken again. I skipped SDK 3.XX all together and reverted back to SDK 2.

Please, make the drivers open source! It will probably take the community days to fix most of the problems, and Jan can devote his time to fixing firmware and building stand-alone software.

I'm also one of your customers that most likely will jump ship and buy another product the next time I'm in the market for a camera. Unless the situation changes ... sorry, but clear skies are too valuable to deal with buggy software.

best
Niko

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »
I can only double the assessement  by jmh. The Hardware is top notch, the software sucks. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's the truth.

I bought a QHY183M right after it hit the market. I was told the Linux software will be ready very soon, so I wasn't bothered. In the end it took almost half a year to get it working! I was in direct contact with Jan (the only developer?) and Jasem helped as well to get the new camera working.
Now, with the latest SDK (v4.0.1) the QHY183M is broken again. I skipped SDK 3.XX all together and reverted back to SDK 2.

Please, make the drivers open source! It will probably take the community days to fix most of the problems, and Jan can devote his time to fixing firmware and building stand-alone software.

I'm also one of your customers that most likely will jump ship and buy another product the next time I'm in the market for a camera. Unless the situation changes ... sorry, but clear skies are too valuable to deal with buggy software.

best
Niko
Hi,
    Thanks for you advice and we will improve our software,Dr.Qiu also is attached importance in software develop ,he hired a new worker do it with Jan and James,I think it will make our software make better ,please wait some time.About make driver be open source,I will report this to Dr.Qiu,but I'm not sure he can agree,after all this is a commercial product.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:19:42 PM by QinXiaoXu »

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
About make driver be open source,I will report this to Dr.Qiu,but I'm not sure he can agree,after all this is a commercial product.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Your value is in your hardware, not the drivers. Make them open source, this will increase the overall quality of the drivers and allow you to focus on the hardware and potentially make more sale.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:06:27 PM by rpineau »
Paramount MX+ / CFF250 F8 RC / Meade Series 5000 102ED APO / Stellarvue SV80ST / ADM MaxGuider
FLI ML-16200 / FLI CFW2-7 / Astrodon Gen II LRGB filters & Ha 5nm filter / ZWO ASI 174MC & 290MM
Pyxis 2" Gen 3 rotator / Mac OS X TheSkyX Pro / AstroImager / Lynkeos
http://www.rti-zone.org/astro.php

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
About make driver be open source,I will report this to Dr.Qiu,but I'm not sure he can agree,after all this is a commercial product.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

You value is in your hardware, not the drivers. Make them open source, this will increase the overall quality of the drivers and allow you to focus on the hardware and potentially make more sale.
    OK,I will report to Dr.Qiu accurately,and let him see this topic.But he is on a business trip,maybe we have to reply you several days later.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

You value is in your hardware, not the drivers. Make them open source, this will increase the overall quality of the drivers and allow you to focus on the hardware and potentially make more sale.
    OK,I will report to Dr.Qiu accurately,and let him see this topic.But he is on a business trip,maybe we have to reply you several days later.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Any news so far?

best
Dr. Niko Kivel

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Any news so far?

best
Dr. Niko Kivel
Hi,
    I have found the reason of issue,and I'm working on this issue now,it will be solved these days.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:10 AM »
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu

Any news so far?

best
Dr. Niko Kivel
Hi,
    I moified our SDK,now I can take images by EZCAP_Qt with QHY183M,and I commit this SDK to my colleague,I think he will release a new SDK these days,you can contact him to get more detail.
Best Regards,
QinXiaoXu