QHYCCD

How to set gain and offset for cooled cmos camera

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
How to set gain and offset for cooled cmos camera
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Hello,

I wrote an article to explain this. Please look at this. If anyone has question please let me know. This article is based on the theoretical knowledge but I would like to see how it works in actual imaging.

http://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/PDF/Setting%20GAIN%20and%20OFFSET%20on%20cold%20CMOS%20camera%20for%20deep%20sky%20astrophotography.pdf

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

jd2

Re: How to set gain and offset for cooled cmos camera
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »
Hello,

I wrote an article to explain this. Please look at this. If anyone has question please let me know. This article is based on the theoretical knowledge but I would like to see how it works in actual imaging.

http://www.qhyccd.com/file/repository/PDF/Setting%20GAIN%20and%20OFFSET%20on%20cold%20CMOS%20camera%20for%20deep%20sky%20astrophotography.pdf

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun

Hello Qiu,

Thank you for taking the time to put this brief explanation together for those starting out who frequently ask about about setting the Gain and Offest to the QHY cameras.  You kept it very simple and easy to interpret with the graphical explanation which is always useful.  The more advanced info was also kept easy to understand so that will benefit those who want a little more depth to the simple explanation given.  From this information, one can choose to delve deeper into the aspects of understanding Gain and Offset, for example, from such information that Craig Stark has provided and additionally from a operational amplifier perspective (signal conditioning) to how this can affect various designs and implementations.

Regards,
JD2

Re: How to set gain and offset for cooled cmos camera
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »
Dear all,

I have made some extensive tests on my QHY168C, in order to find the optimal setting in Gain / Offset.

I have taken Bias and 30s Darks with APT, and checked the results in ADU with FITS liberator and FITSwork. The values on the table are the minimum points where the histogram starts on the left.

Here I attached the results, with the point I guess is the optimum combination.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.