QHYCCD

Firmware Not Loading Properly for QHY5III178

Re: Firmware Not Loading Properly for QHY5III178
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
Your linux system is install in RPI3?If so,I think I can compile a new SDK&fxload on my RPI3,maybe this is useful for you.

Alcan

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Not my main system--it's x86-64. The RPi just happens to respond identically. I might try cloning the USB packets sent by my Windows XP VM upon camera connection (i.e., firmware loading), and then write a script that send the exact same thing as what the WinXP VM sends in place of fxload if I get a chance this weekend.

astrosoft

• Astronomical software developer C,C++,Java,Android
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
I do not think so, because firmware is the same. I use linux machine with Ubuntu Mate for example
and that camera works fine, so firmware is uploaded without any problem.  I do not understand you exactly. Do you use Linux or Windows or Linux with Windows XP as VM ?

I will release an updated version of Linux SDK driver including TheSkyX X2 driver for Linux and macOS in a while. This new version has fixed issue with the temperature regulation on Linux & mac. Now, temperature regulation works fine. Also firmware upload for QHY-183 was solved, so now that camera works on Linux too.
Jan
Jan Soldan 
Astronomical software development
QHYCCD distributor and European Warranty, Repair,
Warehouse centre

V Lukach 451,
251 65 Ondrejov,
Czech Republic

Email : astrosoft@email.cz
Mobile : +420 728 403 811
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansoldan

Alcan

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
Even if in theory, the firmware being loaded should be the same, evidently, in my case, something is going wrong with the firmware loading with fxload on Linux in my case.

The following was done on Debian 9.3 on a laptop with an Intel i7 Skylake processor. The 0178 line in 85-qhy.rules was commented out to explicitly show that firmware loading the problem.

Case 1: Using Windows XP VM (running in Debian) to load the firmware
1. Connect camera to physical USB port on computer. (Device 0178 now appears in lsusb)
2. Start up Windows XP VM and wait for it to fully boot.
3. Attach device 0178 to Windows XP VM. The firmware is automatically loaded by the Windows driver.(Device 0179 is now attached to USB, but I don't attach it to the VM)
4. Shut down Windows XP VM. (Device 0179 is now in lsusb)
5. The driver works properly, and returns images as expected. (i.e., open KStars/Ekos, and it can capture images properly from the camera)

Case 2: Using fxload (fx3load or fxload-libusb) to load the firmware directly
1. Connect camera to physical USB port on computer. (Device 0178 now appears in lsusb)
2. Run fxload to load QHY5III178.img (i.e., using the command in 85-qhy.rules, with appropriate USB number filled in). (Device 0179 is now in lsusb)
3. The driver does NOT work. All images returned are blank, and the sample tests give "write ex" error I posted earlier.

Let me know if any of these steps isn't 100% clear.

Literally the only difference between the driver working, and the driver not working is how I loaded the firmware. The problem must be in that fxload is doing something different than the Windows driver. There are no other differences between case 1 and 2.

I don't know why the firmware is being loaded differently on Windows than it is on Linux, and from what you're saying, it shouldn't. However, evidently, it is.

Have you tested with the QHY5III178M?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:38:00 PM by Alcan »

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:06 PM »
I test QHY5III178M on my Linux machine,download firmware by 85-qhyccd.rules not manually,and executable LiveFrameSample.cpp,it is normal,I set param is:
expose time:20ms
bitsmode:16
traffic:1
gain:50
offset:150
binmode:1X1
and execute SingleFrameSample.cpp,it also is normal,I set param is:
expose time:2s
bitsmode:16
traffic:50
gain:6
offset:150
binmode:1X1
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:49:16 PM by QinXiaoXu »

astrosoft

• Astronomical software developer C,C++,Java,Android
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
Alcan,
did you solve problem with uploading firmware to your QHY5III178M camera ? Please let me know.
Thank you,
Jan
Jan Soldan 
Astronomical software development
QHYCCD distributor and European Warranty, Repair,
Warehouse centre

V Lukach 451,
251 65 Ondrejov,
Czech Republic

Email : astrosoft@email.cz
Mobile : +420 728 403 811
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansoldan

Alcan

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
Not yet. I'll do some more testing over the weekend to see if I can isolate the difference between what my Windows XP VM is sending to the USB vs. what my Ubuntu VM is sending to the USB when they load the firmware.