QHYCCD

Polemaster Lag Time

Polemaster Lag Time
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
Just installed/received the Polemaster and there is a serious lag time issue with it.  The image on my screen only moves when I move the mouse around, which makes hovering over a star for precise alignment a bit of a challenge.  Initially I thought it was my computer but it there's more than enough horsepower on that machine to run the software.  I've ordered a new cable from Amazon, hopefully that takes care of the issues.  Any other suggestions? 

Re: Polemaster Lag Time
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
Just installed/received the Polemaster and there is a serious lag time issue with it.  The image on my screen only moves when I move the mouse around, which makes hovering over a star for precise alignment a bit of a challenge.  Initially I thought it was my computer but it there's more than enough horsepower on that machine to run the software.  I've ordered a new cable from Amazon, hopefully that takes care of the issues.  Any other suggestions?

New cable didn't help. Still serious lag time. Also modified the power settings for the USB and that didn't resolve it either.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:06:32 PM by wade_l_smith »

Jim W

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
QHY Technical Support - I am finding more users with Windows 10 screen redraw and freezing problems that make the PoleMaster unusable... There are 3 in my local astronomy club and many more on-line.  In the past you mentioned DirectX 12, the PC GPU and possibility the graphic drivers causing the problem.  I have been trying to help these users by giving them advice - try this type of stuff...  Users using Windows 7 Home and Professional don't have these problems.  Its unclear if these problems occur on PC's that have been 'upgraded' to Windows 10 or on 'new' PC's.  One fix for one problem is to make sure the Windows OS doesn't turn off the power to the PC USB Hub and Ports to save power.

What info is needed on your part to help debug these problems?  IMHO This is becoming more of a problem.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
I have just received my pole master and march 22 was my first use. I am experiencing the same lag issue on my one month old windows 10 laptop.

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
Hello,

Please try this to help us to identity if it is the CPU power saving issue. You can open the media player and play the music and then try PoleMaster to see if it is still lag.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
Hi Qiu,

I tried this and it seems to improve the problem. By simply running any media in a window the PoleMaster is working much more smoothly. May not be as good as last year in August 2016 but I have not had good weather here to use the PM so I do not know when this issue started.

Chip

Hello,

Please try this to help us to identity if it is the CPU power saving issue. You can open the media player and play the music and then try PoleMaster to see if it is still lag.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
Hello Qiu,

I can confirm that this makes the PoleMaster stop freezing up. As long as any video is playing in an open browser the PoleMaster video keeps running and the PoleMaster software doesn't lock up. It will even keep running for a little while 1-5 minutes, if you close the video window or browser with the video running in it. Is there a fix or new driver for this issue? Thanks!

Jon M.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
Same issue here, brand new laptop with windows 10, serious lagging making polemaster unusable. Really need a fix or will have to return it. Intel I7 16GB ram 64 bit 512 GB SSD Drive

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:13 AM »
I have two laptop computers.
One updated from Windows 10 HOME initial version to version 1607.
Another one is the latest PC pre-installed version 1607.
There was a problem that drawing of Polemaster was slow only on PC with 1607 preinstalled.
Not only in Polemaster but also in PHD 2 (Camera: Touptek GCMOS 01200 KMA, using ASCOM Driver), we could not obtain a practical frame rate and even dark could not be acquired properly.
So, in order to investigate whether it is a Windows problem or a hardware problem, I tried installing Windows 10 version 1607 or earlier on the latest PC and then updated it to version 1607.
As a result, in PHD 2, the frame rate of the camera was decent.
I have not tried it in the night sky yet, but screen rendering seems to be normal for Polemaster as well.
I do not know where the cause is, but something seems to be different between pre-installed version 1607 and updated version 1607.

Because I am Japanese and fluent in English, I used Google translation.
Sorry if it was unreadable sentences.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
Hello, I have the same issue with new laptop. i7 Windows 10 Pro / USB 3.0. / Intel eXtensable Host Controller.  Polemaster unusable because of very bad lag time.
Old laptop has no problem, uses Windows 10 Home  upgrade from 7. uses USB 2.0. / Intel 5 series/3400 series chipset family usb host controller-3B34.

I tried reducing the computer screen resolution down to 800 x 600 . This also did not help the problem.  Is there any solution to this problem?
Thank you.
ddelapa 

DAD

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
Hello ... I am new to this forum and this is my first comment. Like the other postings, I have a serious lag time with the QHYCCD PoleMaster. I am running Windows-10 Home Version 1703; hardware is ASUS laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ CPU, 16GB installed RAM, 256GB SSD for the C: disk. The Win-10 OS was 'factory installed' and not an upgrade from any prior Windows. Since this is a 'gaming laptop' it uses NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M technology.

What can I try to help figure this out?

Dave D. - - upstate NY

Follow on notes:  wow - - I found that if I use Internet Explorer and stream a YouTube video then PoleMaster works almost perfectly. Further, I added Windows Media Player running a movie, and that helped a bit more. I started up Task Manager and watched the system performance. With IE and WMP running, PoleMaster would use about 4% of the CPU resources; that is, normal performance and real-time tracking of my artificial 'star'. As soon as stopped IE, then the PoleMaster performance dropped to just about ZERO and the serious display lag was back. My ASUS laptop is 64-bit and so is the IE version I am using; PoleMaster is only 32-bit. Any connection?

Hope you can make something out of this.

Dave_D 

Just returned from the Cherry Springs star party and successfully used the PoleMaster on two separate occasions to complete my polar alignment - BUT - had to run a short movie in a continuous loop in order for PM to function properly. The movie app apparently sets the NVIDA GeForce GTX 980M chip properly, thus permitting PM to work.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:44:41 AM by DAD »

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 03:02:11 AM »
Is this information irrelevant?
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/driver-signing-changes-windows-10

The thing to try is to try to disable UEFI's secure boot.

If you fix this way, having Microsoft's signed driver be the best solution would be the solution.

As I wrote in Reply # 8, I installed Windows 10 before Anniversary update and upgraded afterwards.
And I tried using Polemaster in real night sky, but the behavior of Polemaster was perfect as before. Likewise, the frame rate of PHD 2 and SharpCapture was perfect.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
Hello all, I'm a bit late to the party but stumbled across this post while doing a search for this issue! I'm currently having the same issue with Polemaster software lagging when I tried last evening to do a polar alignment. This is a new Acer laptop running Windows 10 i7 processor, 12 gb RAM and a 512 gb SSD. I'm currently running Windows 10 Version 1703 64 bit and like everyone else I did not expect to have any issues with this setup because my old Dell laptop was only an i5 processor and only 8 gb of RAM. That old boy ran flawlessly!

I completely uninstalled all versions of Polemaster software and drivers and reinstalled version 1.3.2.8 and latest driver 150915. As yasgo0120 suggested above, I disabled my UEFI secure boot option in my BIOS and will give it a try tonight if the weather cooperates for me!   

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Hi,
I'm having a similar issue on an Alienware laptop with NVIDIA GT1070 card. I tried a looping video with no success.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »
Me too - NEW ACER laptop had win10 installed.  I don't recall it doing this freeze thing when I first got the polemaster a few months ago.  Now I find I have to stop and wait for it to update the screen and I often over shoot my alignment.

HOW TO FIX THIS?  I'll try running a video - but what a pain in the ass.