QHYCCD

QHY294 Mono?

QHY294 Mono?
« on: December 08, 2017, 06:01:37 am »
I wonder how the testing of the debayered mono cameras is going? As far as I know, the beta testing started two months ago and I haven't heard anything since then.

If this project still is alive, would like to suggest IMO the perfect candidate for removing of the Bayer filter. It's IMX294CJK, the sensor of the upcoming QHY294M camera.

Larger than 4/3, more than 23mm in diagonal, extremely sensitive, with 4.6 micron pixels and QE nearly 80%, 14bit BSI sensor. Recently I had a chance to process single 300 sec frame taken with this sensor and was amazed how sensitive indeed it is.

Removing the color filter and microlenses from Backside Illuminated sensor should not affect QE dramatically, since unlike Front illuminated, there is no significant gap between the pixels. Moreover, due to it's nature, the Bayer filter itself absorbs around 20% of passing through light, thus debayering could theoretically make the sensor even more sensitive.

Although there is some drawback of removing of the microlenses, since they reduce the optical cross-talk for the steep angle light, still IMO, QHY294M could easily outperform the latest and most popular monochrome QHY163M with its Panasonic sensor.

David
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:08:44 pm by dvalid »

Re: QHY294 Mono?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:54:30 am »
Yes, the monoMOD project continues. For the past month, we have finished the follow-up work. Now, the modification of QHY168/247/128/367 which used Sony FSI sensors are all under control. Next, we will test the BSI sensor(maybe IMX294),I also think that the monoMOD will make the sensor even more sensitive, at least it won't reduce the sensitivity.

Re: QHY294 Mono?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:59 pm »
Yes, the monoMOD project continues. For the past month, we have finished the follow-up work. Now, the modification of QHY168/247/128/367 which used Sony FSI sensors are all under control. Next, we will test the BSI sensor(maybe IMX294),I also think that the monoMOD will make the sensor even more sensitive, at least it won't reduce the sensitivity.

Glad to hear that! Especially interested in mono version of the imx128 and imx294 :)