QHYCCD

QHYCCD Low Level USB protocol request

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
QHYCCD Low Level USB protocol request
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »
Hello Everyone,

In order to pushing the linux programming and encourage the freedom software, as many request of linux/macos programmer request we start to release the low level USB protocol under the our NDA document.

Here is the step to obtain the protocol.

1). Send us the request on which camera you need.

You can send request by Forum PM. Or to our help ticket system.

2). QHYCCD will send a NDA and you can signed it
3). After confirmed by QHYCCD. QHYCCD will prepare the document.
4). During developing progress, you may have more question,please send us and we will add FAQ on these document

Please note this low level USB protocol is not the same of the QHYCCD linux API. The low level USB protocol is the basic communication protocol between computer and the camera. It will give you more freedom to control the camera and it is more smooth. You do not need use the QHYCCD linux API then you can control it.

Since not all of our camera has the fully low protocol document. So it may need some time that we write it after response to your request.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:25:44 AM by QiuHY »
Qiu Hongyun

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: QHYCCD Low Level USB protocol request
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:12:40 AM »
Current Finished Document

1. PoleMaster........ Finished
2. QHY5L-II.......... Partly finished. only support full resolution readout . ROI function is under adding.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:37:14 AM by QiuHY »
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »
       Please note this low level USB protocol is not the same of the QHYCCD linux API. The low level USB protocol is the basic communication protocol between computer and the camera. It will give you more freedom to control the camera and it is more smooth. You do not need use the QHYCCD linux API then you can control it.
Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu,
Will there be more documentation on the Linux API? There are a few threads in this forum requesting assistance in getting the API and sample programs to compile.  http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5517.0

I previously tried to reach out via email, but I didn't get a response. It would be great if there was a pinned "How To" in the forum for compiling and using the Linux API.

astrosoft

• Astronomical software developer C,C++,Java,Android
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
Hi,
if you need linux API to write your own software for controlling QHY cameras,
I could generate it for you and put it in Dropbox for download.

I still need to discuss it with Qiu, what exactly should that package contain, so please wait  a while...I suppose to deliver it to you next week.

I also write a new QhyCmosCamera library in close cooperation with Qiu, based his low level protocol,  but there still is a lot of work to do. We currently support Qhy5L-II and Qhy163 cameras, but we will extend it for Qhy-lll and Polemaster soon. This is quite new project and should work on all major operating systems like Linux, Mac OSX and later Windows. Tested on Ubuntu 64bit linux, Raspberry PI3, Odroid XU4 & C2 and Mac OSX now.

So, a lot of work on exciting projects !

Take Care,
Jan Soldan,
QHY software developer
astrosoft@email.cz

Jan Soldan 
Astronomical software development
QHYCCD distributor and European Warranty, Repair,
Warehouse centre

V Lukach 451,
251 65 Ondrejov,
Czech Republic

Email : astrosoft@email.cz
Mobile : +420 728 403 811
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jansoldan

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
Hi,
if you need linux API to write your own software for controlling QHY cameras,
I could generate it for you and put it in Dropbox for download.
Thanks Jan.  Really, I am mostly interested in getting OpenSkyImager up and running with the new cameras since I am using iAstroHub with my Raspberry Pi.  I have a separate thread open on how to get the USB-3 recognized in Linux (http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5781.0).  Qui reached out to me, asking if I wanted to help out with SDK testing, but I have not heard from him recently.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 01:00:56 AM »
Hi,

How I can get The low level USB protocol for control my QHY5L-II.

Thank you.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Hi Guys

I would like to get my QHY Polemaster camera to work on Linux, in order to use it with the new Polar Alignment Assistant in Ekos.
QHY currently dosn't provide a linux driver, nor do they support the Polemaster via their Linux SDK.

But Qiu Hongyun (QHY) has offered to provide their Low Level USB Protocol specifications, provided I/we sign an NDA.

Although I'm a professional Embedded Firmware developer, I currently have no experience in Linux device drivers, nor with the USB protocol.
So I would like to hear if there are anybody in this forum who would like to participate in developing a Linux INDI driver for the QHY Polemaster camera?

I know there are people out there in the same situation as me... who already own a QHY Polemaster, and who would like to use the hardware together with INDI/Ekos.

Best Regards
Anders Lange

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
Hello. I wanted to use my QHY5-II and QHY5L-II cameras with Linux and I was surprised to see that it's not simple at all to find a capture software that works with both.
Apparently you don't understand what pushing and freedom mean in "pushing the linux programming and encourage the freedom software" from your first message. How can we expect to have someday a driver that works for everybody if you only give the protocol for one model at a time and under an NDA? It takes a lot of work to build a capture software, and all this work is not wasted if it works with many cameras, not just one.

Will you please someday either develop an free SDK for linux or publish all the camera communication details?
The current SDK is hardly working, unmaintained and cannot be built on any architectures anyway.

Thank you

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 03:53:36 AM »
Hello,
      Why the current linux SDK hardly to working?  Can you give us some suggestion that we can improve that?

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »
Hello,
It is hardly working because it does not implement all features, and apparently has different features implemented for different cameras. It seems to be clear for everybody that the current driver found here should not be used on Linux-based OS. Issues that are reported have strange answers like this one in which it is said that a lot of work is in progress, but we don't know what is happening, and issues (not only this one) are not resolved. The samples don't even compile because the use of cmake is not standard!

So yes I have a suggestion on how to improve that: make the driver open source. People will look at the code and may rewrite a part of it, but at least it will work and we will know what is implemented and what is not. An SDK should come with a documentation. Here we have no code, no documentation and evasive answers. With the source, this documentation will be made.
Also, having specifications for USB communications would allow users to implement the missing features for their cameras. But as I said in my first message, if all this is under NDA or the implementation hidden, the SDK does not benefit from it, only one user does and this helps nobody else. This is a loss of time and money for everybody.

I hope you understand my point of view, which I am sure is the point of view of many.
Best regards

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
+1 with vinvin.
Yes we, linux users, hope to have our cameras working fine under this OS.
There is more than one year that I hope to have something working correctly on arm platform. And I see nothing that comes.
Why I bought a QHY: for the serious of the built. Why I will not  recommend to buy it, for the weakness of its firmware on linux platforms.
And I agree with vinvin when he says that making those firmwares open source could help a lot, you to speed up developments and us customers of your products to have full functional devices on any platform. But maybe you prefer that, us, linux users, we buy products from your competitors.

Best regards