QHYCCD

Polemaster queries

Polemaster queries
« on: May 07, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
I used my new Polemaster for the first time a couple of nights ago, with my Astrotrac mount. I have some feedback and queries.
I'm in central Thailand, at 14 degrees north, and the atmospheric refraction compensation seemed to work OK. On my first attempt my polar alignment error was just 1 arc minute - atmospheric refraction moves Polaris and its nearby stars by around 3.5 arc minutes at my latitude. Can I request that the data entered by the user for the atmospheric refraction calculation persists from one session to the next? It keeps defaulting back to 39 degrees north.

I had no problems with the alignment and wanted to continue to monitor the alignment status but I couldn't. On 4 out of 4 attempts the software would lose track of one or more of the reference stars. I didn't notice the events which caused this - I presume there was some intermittent bad seeing caused by haze or cloud - but on the viewer window it showed both stars (Polaris and I think the second was lambda Ursa Minor) sharp and steady with the little green squares a little distance above them - i.e. the reference stars were not within the green squares. The mount itself had not been moved and the actual alignment was still OK (I was running PHD). I don't think there is any way to recover and re-acquire the reference stars other than to restart the whole alignment? Do you have any plans to improve the software to make it more robust and cope better with temporary poor seeing conditions?

I use PHD2 with a QHY5Lii for guiding. I noticed that when I had both the polemaster and the QHY5Lii connected to the PC, PHD2 would report time outs communicating with the QHY5Lii. (Timeout parameter in PHD was set to default, 20 secs). I've never had a problem before with PHD and the QHY5Lii. On my first imaging run PHD reported the issue after working OK for about 50 minutes. On the second run I unplugged the polemaster and there were no problems with PHD and the QHY5Lii. I realise the evidence is anecdotal but it does seem a bit suspicious. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 13 laptop and I had the polemaster and the QHY5Lii connected to the two USB3 ports.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Polemaster. It should allow me to get a good and consistent polar alignment with just a few minutes of effort and I wont have to do drift alignment any more.

John

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Polemaster queries
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
Hello John,

Thank you very much for this suggestion and report us your experience on the PoleMaster. Can you tell me some details of the "  Can I request that the data entered by the user for the atmospheric refraction calculation persists from one session to the next? It keeps defaulting back to 39 degrees north."   I am not understand this very well. Do you mean the calculation results will changed each time or can not save to disk?

And for the PoleMaster and QHY5L-II working together. In our lab testing it does not happen. Maybe you can check if the USB hub good enough? Or the power supply of the USB hub is enough. Sometimes the low +5V voltage may cause something of the USB transfer.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:33:17 PM »
Hello Qiu

Thank you for your reply.

OK, I am puzzled now because I just started up the Polemaster software and it has remembered by latitude setting for the astronomical refraction calculation. But when I was using it a few nights ago it definitely reverted to the default latitude (39 degrees I think) at some point. Next time I will monitor carefully and if the latitude setting does change then I will try to work out what sequence of actions caused it and report back to you.

Re my problem running both the Polemaster and QHY5Lii together: I am not using an external USB hub, both cameras are directly connected to separate onboard USB3 ports on my computer. However it could still be an issue with the internal USB. I have a third, USB2, port on the computer. Next time I'll try moving the QHY5Lii over to the USB2 port and leave the Polemaster on the USB3.

Thanks
John

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
I have the same problem with the atmospheric diffraction settings--sometimes it remembers them, sometimes it does not and I have to reset them.  I am using v 1.3.1.

Vince

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi,

We has tested again with the PoleMaster V0131. And not found the problem.
The atmospheric diffraction settings will be saved without problem. i tried many times, It can remember the last modified value each time.

BTY, What operating system did you running?  I had ran it in Win7/Win8,  it all works fine.

best regards.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
Hi Luotong,

I'm running on Windows 10. It will be a week or so before I try the Polemaster again but I will try to reproduce the issue.

John