QHYCCD

MiniCAM5F - real conditions test images of the sky

easybob95

MiniCAM5F - real conditions test images of the sky
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »
Hello,

in this topic, i will post real conditions tests on sky with the miniCAM5F.

Considering the weather, the time left to test, the sky, the softwares, the autoguiding possibilities etc, i will work on planets ans the Moon (maybe the not so much expected results) and DSO (very expected results i guess). I will try to do my best.

You will also have some real conditions tests with Maximo Suarez who have already performed great job on that topic : http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=4990.0

For technical informations, i will continue on that topic : http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=4982.0

Testing the miniCAM5F will take some time, especially for DSO because i am a very beginner in DSO imaging.

Thanks for your attention.

Alain
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:36:50 AM by easybob95 »

easybob95

Re: MiniCAM5F - real conditions test images of the sky
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:15:04 AM »
Some works on the Moon, with SCT 6" and barlow 1.5x or 2x.

Most of pictures are taken with red filters and are reduced size.

I use EZPlanetary V3.81, AS2 and Registax 6. Cosmetic is realized with PaintShop Pro.

Here are Petavius and Endymion regions :

Alain

easybob95

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:17:57 AM »
Here is my first (and unique) Jupiter in colors (RGB). The clouds did not allow me to take more captures. Considering the turbulence, the result is not bad and much more better the result i could have with my WHY5L-IIc.

Alain

easybob95

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:25:08 AM »
Here are new tests on the Moon.

I used a 2x barlow. Turbulence was very high and if i had made captures with my QHY5L-II, i couldn't use a 2x barlow. I could only use 1.5x barlow.

Still using EZPlanetary V3.81 and same treatment as usual.

So, here are Vallis Alpes region and Ptolemee region (3 images mosaic for Ptolemee).

With better weather, i think i would have the best Moon images of my small astrophotographer life. Better luck next time.

I also made some captures with a 1.5x barlow and without barlow. I will process the images soon.

Alain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:31:59 AM »
Good job, the seeing is decisive in planetary.
Has little to prove this chip in planetary, we know very well by the qhy5LII. It would be interesting to try and see if has newton rings, extra window between the filter wheel and the chip could affect something positive or negative.
Certainly have filter wheel integrated and planner of EZplanetary much easier catch in planetary.

In my case I have not found problems both USB fps speed, or recording to disk. 1280x960 30fps, 640x480 104fps high velocity 8bit, in Intel windows vista 32bits 4Gb RAM quad core, 7200rpm.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:05:34 AM by Maximo Suarez »

easybob95

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:31 AM »
Hello Maximo,

For sure, MT9M034 is well known and have nothing to prove. But, as i only used a color camera with bayer matrix, i also want to test the mono sensor improvement with filters. For sure, the gain is real. Planetary tests are interesting for me, and maybe for other people, mainly for filters use. Of course, the real test is for DSO but i have to wait good weather (not for the coming days). But i think this camera is both planetary and deep sky and i have to test them. Just waiting for a good night, without Moon (bad days these days).

I did not notice any Newton rings, using the filters.

Considering the fps recording, i do not have problems at all, at full resolution or lower resolution. It's a pretty good thing, considering my laptop is old and not powerfull at all (Windows 7 64b, dual CPU 1.3 GHz, 4 Go Ram, 5400rpm HD, USB2).

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:09:32 AM »
I think you mean onions rings in planetary, newton rings are solar images.

easybob95

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
oh, you think right !

easybob95

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:29:02 AM »
Well, still posting my results on the Moon (because miniCAM5F is also a planetary camera), waiting for the good sky.

Here is a big mosaic of the Moon terminator (reduced size). Considering the turbulences, mono sensor with the good filter is definitively better then color sensor. No doubt about it.

Alain
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:00:11 AM by easybob95 »

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 04:04:54 AM »
Very good Alain, a litle darkness or is this monitor...

easybob95

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »
I have raised the image light a bit but not too much because i will have artifacts in the dark parts (probably because of the use of Ice Panorama Maker).

easybob95

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:10:53 AM »
Well, i have made my first real test on DSO (M13) yesterday.

I have also made my first autoguided acquisition. That's not quite simple and i had good and bad things.

Good thing is that in can use miniCAM5F and QHY5L-IIc connected to my laptop (QHY5L-IIc + PHD2 and miniCAM5F + EZCAP). It works well.

So, here is the setup, with my SCT 6" at F/D 6.3 :

Autoguiding worked rather well but i still have to learn a lot of things about it.

I could only acheive filter L acquisitions, before autoguiding starts to be very unstable. RGB acquisitions can't be use and i am very sorry with that.

EZCap works very well with miniCAM5F and FW is ok. No problem.

During dark acquisitions, i had a problem so i had to restart de camera. Worst situation for FPN calibration. Anyway, i took Darks and Bias and made treatment on L acquisitions.

The gain was 0, temperature was -20°C, 29*60s acquisitions.

Remember it is my very first test with an autoguided miniCAM5F.

I made a quick comparison with my best M13 ever with my QHY5L-IIc :

Well, for a biginning, i am not to sad with the result. I did better with my first test than the results i had with my qhy5l-iic.

Hope posting better results next time.

Alain

easybob95

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
Hello,

i continue tests on DSO. This time, i used my Megrez 72 FD instead of my SCT 6".

I used autoguiding with my QHY5L-IIc + PHD2 and it worked perfectely.

So, i worked hard (well, the hardware and software worked hard) for 5 hours. No crash, no bug. Happiness.

My targets were M13, M27 and M81-M82 (with a 0.5x focal reducer).

I could perform a LRGB for M13 but i had to make only L filter for M27 because of the clouds. I did LRGB for M81-M82 but i had problems with the clouds and the Moon. Not sure M81-M82 will be allright.

Well, M13 (reduced size) :
18*60s Luminance
7*60s R, V, B

M27 (reduced size) :
18*120s Luminance

Well, DSO treatment is very new for me so, thoses results can't show the potential of the camera but i am very proud of them.

Clear skies

Alain

easybob95

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Hello,

i did new tests last night, mainly to test miniCAM5F and autoguiding with my standart setup which is :

SCT 6" was at F/D10 and i have to say that that kind of setup for autoguiding is not very good. I have to work on that.

So, with bad autoguiding, i captured M57 and the result is not very good. But, it is much more better then my best M57 with QHY5L-IIc without autoguiding.

Here is a comparison :

UP : miniCAM5F & autoguiding
DOWN : QHY5L-IIc without autoguiding

Alain

easybob95

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »
Hello,

i made new treatment for M57. I am much more pleased with the result :

Alain