QHYCCD

QHY5-II/QHY5L-II: How to get best FPS

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
QHY5-II/QHY5L-II: How to get best FPS
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:04:13 am »
Hello,

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  The fastest speed of QHY5-II/QHY5L-II is nearly 39MByte/s . Which is a¬  very high speed for USB2.0 and reach to the limit of such interface.
Not all computer can get this speed. In a slow computer , using this speed will cause a lot bad frames and the bad frames is filtered by driver. Then you can only see a poor FPS.

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  ¬ EZPlanetary gives some settings to make QHY5-II/QHY5L-II works at a relativity high FPS even in some slow computer. Please follow this step by step and
found the best settings.

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  ¬ When first use EZPlanetary with QHY5-II/QHY5L-II. It do not know how fast the computer can get. It is best to let the EZPlanetary start at the default settings. Default settings will use the slowest speed to start the QHY5-II and QHY5L-II.¬  How to start the EZPlanetary with the default settings?¬  The answer is just delete *.ini files in the folder of EZPlanetary.

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  ¬ After EZPlanetary started. With the slowest speed. The FPS is only 7-8FPS@1280*1024. Now check the Menu->Camera Setting->High Speed Readout.¬  The FPS will get 15FPS@1280*1024.¬  Then check the advanced setting->Limit USB bandwidth.¬  The default value is 30. Decrese it. The FPS will increase again.¬ 
In a very good computer, you can set the value to zero. The FPS will get 30FPS.¬  ¬ But in some slow computer. when decrease this value and the fps will increase, but at some value, fps will drop suddenly. It means the USB¬  traffic has reach the limitation at this value .

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  ¬ Since the max reslution take more USB bandwidth than other ROI resilution. So once the value is set success in max resolution. Other ROI resolution will have no problem.

¬  ¬  ¬  ¬  ¬ BTW: The early EZPV3.3 has a bug cause very low FPS in some of WIN7 computer(not all WIN7 computer).¬  Now we solved this here¬  http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=3507.0

Best regards,
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:17:39 am by QiuHY »
Qiu Hongyun

Re: QHY5-II/QHY5L-II: How to get best FPS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:12 am »
Excellent instructions. Will these be included in the help file for EZP? Thanks!
All the best,

Sander

Takahashi EM-400 - Edge HD 1100 - HyperStar 3 - WO M110 - FR-III/TRF 2008
QHY-8, DSI, QHY 5L-IIc, IMG0H mono, PC164 video
PixInsight, Nebulosity, DeepSkyStacker, PaintShopPro X2, PHD, FireCapture, Autostakkert

Artyom

• ICQ Messenger - 286930851
    • View Profile
    • at AstroBin
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:26:54 am »
In addition be sure the camera is plugged in dedicated USB controller. Common "dual" USB-ports found on most desktops and some notebooks shares the same controller (built-in USB hub). And a second connected device may interfere data flow from the camera, especially in case of USB HDD (and a USB HDD also may suffer lack of performance if it is coupled with other hi-speed device (webcam, wireless lan adapter, etc)).
You can check what of USB controllers in use in Device Manager.

patry

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:05:19 am »
Is there a known issue about using QHY5L-II + EZP3.3 under Vista x64 (sp1 installed, OS up to date) ?
I had very (very) low fps this week-end under my "high end" platform ! Say, 1~2 fps for 1024x768, nearly zero (EZP hangs) in 1280x960.

I tried another camera (ICX445) that runs at nearly 30fps in the same resolution of 1280x960. Another one (MT9M001) runs effortlessly at 30fps in 1280x1024, that seems to exclude an USB or disk problem or CPU issue (connected on the same front USB port for all).

The QHY5L-II plugged on my core 2 duo/windows XP goes back to the top speed (30fps), say there's nothing broken in it.

I have checked there are no other component, nor resource sharing with USB controller (ICH10R from an ASUS P6T SE / i7 920 / 3x2Go RAM / SSD + HDD).

When EZP is connected to the camera, I spent 4~5 minutes to exit the program ("program do not responding" ...).

What is strange is the EZP name that seems to be an x64 application, but under the task manager I clearly read there is a "*32" indication (for x36 32 bit applications). Could it be a compilation issue ?

Thanks,

Marc

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:51 am »
Hello,
¬  ¬  ¬  We did not test the vista. But in part of the WIN7 it has this issue. Now you can try this

http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=3507.0

The EZP is comiled in 32BIT system. Only the camera driver is 64/32 version.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:18:30 am by QiuHY »
Qiu Hongyun

patry

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:36 pm »
Thanks, it works much better now (30fps output from the camera) !
But the write output is quite low (much lower than other competitors).
The good thing is that I've got plenty of RAM, and installing a 2~4GB ramdisk was not a problem.

Marc

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:42:05 am »
Hello,

Now we are adding the SER format to EZP. It should be faster since it is a directly binary file writing.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun

Artyom

• View Profile
    • at AstroBin
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
That be great!

patry

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:56:35 am »
Very good news.
SER are normally very well documented and well recognized in 8bit records.
For >8 bits, there could be issues (autostakkert do not read some 12bit SER), but globally all software(s) can read data flow (Registax, Avistack).
The SER can record individual datation, that could be interesting when recording some phenomena (for example. ocultation).

As AVI is only a container, this is not a guarantee the file can be read by all softwares !
Recording SER stands for recording a RAW flow of images in a single file (w/o 2GB limitations).

Marc

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »
Hello,
here are some results I obtain with a new QHY5L-II at 1280x960 with EZplanetary (and Firecapture) on a Dell e6510 i5 8gb camera alone on usb 2:
high compatibility drivers : 12fps, high speed readout : 10-25fps (rapid variation) and pc freeze after 30sec (reboot needed ...)
high performance drivers  12 fps, high speed readout : 2fps! and EZplanetary freeze after seconds
If I reduce the USB traffic, the fps decrease but the freezes remain... of course I have only one driver installed during these tests.
We are very far from the announced fps, do you have an idea? my laptop is not too old I think, because it works very well with other cameras.
Regards.
P.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:24 am »
Hello,
some news of my problem, it seems that the camera works well in all the computers of the earth except mine....
I tested the camera on two computer on usb 2.0 and 3.0 port and I get the announced fps without problem.
My pc seems to be clean, but something may be wrong in these drivers because it is very close of one I tested (M4500). If you have an idea I will appreciate, if not I can try re installing my system but i am not very enthusiast with this.
Regards.
P

Artyom

• View Profile
    • at AstroBin
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:39:21 am »
May be something wrong with USB cable (connectors)? Did you try different cables?

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »
Hello,
yes plenty of cables, long, short, powered or not, on usb 2, on usb 3 .... I re installed my windows with all the good drivers and .... the same thing, no more than 13fps at full resolution and freeze of the program (ez or firecapture) when I select hight speed. I begin to hate computers ... it works perfectly on a Dell M4500 at my job but not in my E6510 which is near the same (al least exteriorly) . May be Mr QiuHy will have the solution, I hope I do not want to change my computer nor the camera...

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »
Hello,

It looks may USB package lost so the FPS is low (many frame is bad frame and been throw away by software).
         There is many possible to cause this. But I think you need to check if camera can works in another computer. To confirm if it is the hardware issue of the camera.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun

Artyom

• View Profile
    • at AstroBin
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:56 am »
Pascal, did you try to switch off any unnecessary devices in the laptop such as Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapters, built-in webcam, etc? Did you installed the latest version of drivers for video (Intel & NVIDIA) and chipset? If the laptop has two video adapters (Intel and Nvidia), did you try switch them?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:15:40 am by Artyom »